Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Bible Reading Plan for New Year

Having done the 3-chapters-per-day-and-5-on-Sunday plan for reading through the Bible in a year several times already, I decided to try something new this year to enrich my daily Bible reading. This time through, I am only reading one chapter per day....and immediately following it up by reading a commentary on the same chapter. Blue Letter Bible, which you see over under my blogroll, has several text, audio and video commentaries available for each and every passage of Scripture (ah, the joys of living in the 21st century!).

While there are many fine commentators, I find myself going back to Matthew Henry time and again. He is thorough, precise, distinguishes between doctrine and speculation, and has meticulously exegeted every chapter and book of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. You could certainly do a lot worse in your personal study than Matthew Henry, so I am sticking with his commentary for now.

It's a bit tougher than it sounds. The commentary, with all it's cross-references, takes longer to get through and digest than the chapter of Scripture itself. By my estimate, it will take me 3 1/2 - 4 years to get through the entire Bible this way, although I started nearly two weeks ago. Still, I figure it will be worth it - seems I'll glean a lot more from the text's meaning this way than by another simple straight read-through. I will share interesting insights as God reveals them to me through my study.

I will be 43 by the time I get to Revelation. My daughter will be a junior in high school, looking at colleges.

That seems like a loooong way off. Sheesh!

1 comment:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Matthew Henry is very, very wordy, but I have found his commentary to be an excellent resource, especially for demonstrating the understanding of scripture of his time.